Saturday, November 22, 2008

My How Time Flies

Wow, its been a while since posting. Life has been pretty busy lately, but this looks to be a productive but relaxing weekend. I spent this afternoon filing about 6 months of paperwork (paid bills, statements, paystubs, etc), and mailing in flexible spending receipts, and it feels so good to be done. We've been seeing a lot of theater recently, mostly at BAM's Next Wave Festival, so that's been filling up a lot of our time. We saw Continuous City this past week, and it was really interesting - a true melding of modern technology with the theater. And following the show we had a great dinner at No. 7, which looks to be the next happening restaurant in our neighborhood.

We also saw Complexions Dance Company last night when my parents friends had to cancel at the last minute. Half way through, we realized we had seen them last year with my parents as well. I remember them being good before, but not leaving that much of an impression. This time, however, they really shined. Highly recommend them if you can make it to The Joyce in the next week.

All the going out means we haven't been eating at home that much, but we've still had time to try out a few new recipes. And Sam's actually cooked a few of them himself! I made Apple Potato and Onion Gratin a few weeks ago, which I highly recommend, though with a tad more salt, but Sam made the Chicken with Sherry Vinegar Sauce to go with it. And later in the week, he made Pork Chops with Spiced Sweet Potatoes, also very tasty, even without the apples since I had used them all up in the gratin. And Thursday night Sam whipped up a simple pizza with mozzarella and prosciutto from some store bought dough I picked up at Trader Joe's the week before. Pretty much the only cooking I did in the last week was last Sunday's dinner of Pan Seared Chicken w. Tarragon Butter Sauce and Spaghetti Squash w. Moroccan Spices, both of which were very good and I was jealous that Sam got to eat the leftovers for dinner. That and the leftover gnocchi that I had frozen a few weeks ago, which may have been even creamier than the original. Definitely making that again.

Oh, and I almost forgot, the other thing we've been busy with is swimming at our new pool! Our swim team got kicked out of the Dodge Y, so the Brooklyn Dodgies are no longer, but we worked out a deal with LIU and we started swimming this past Tuesday! Love the new pool and am so glad to say good riddance to the Y. Sure, I'll miss having towel service and a locker to keep my stuff, but I won't miss the hot pool, poor air quality, random pool closings and broken showers on a regular basis. Hurrah!

No comments: